Latest posts by Garrett Baumgardner (see all)
- Workflow Automation in Wide Format Graphics: How it Offers More Options and Greater Profits - July 11, 2018
- Finishing Equipment Boosts Print Profits—What Are You Waiting For? - April 24, 2018
- 2018 Production Print Technology Trends - November 20, 2017
The role of print marketing in a digital world is thriving! In recent years, print marketing has seen a renaissance. In 2017, over $15 billion was spent on flyer printing in the US alone, and in 2018, the power of production print is set to skyrocket.
Smithers Pira, one of the most relied upon industry research firms says, “Digital print is growing because it allows print suppliers to improve the levels of service they offer to customers, as well as opening new opportunities and helping them to make money.”
Marketers want your services.
Print sells and today’s print customers are taking full advantage of commercial presses that are faster and create projects that get noticed.
That’s why brands like Airbnb launch print magazines to reach important stakeholders, print catalogues are on the rise and over 10 billion business cards are printed in the US a year. Growth is predicted to continue well into 2024.
It’s easy to see why. Commercial printers are providing customers lots of options with printing techniques like:
- Spot UV – Flat or raised
- Foil Stamping
- Feather Signs
- Die Cutting
- Varnishing and Soft Touch Matte Lamination
Can you meet the marketing trends for 2018?
Marketers are falling in love with print all over again. Now that you’ve caught their attention here’s what they want in 2018.
Personalized Prints— Techniques like custom poster prints, personalized direct mail and flyers are giving print houses the edge.
Combining Print with Digital–In a recent Print in a Digital World 2017 Trend Report it states, “We are in an information revolution, powered by the intersection of two of the most commanding knowledge [print and digital] transfer mechanisms of our time”. New marketing trends are using both to guide customers to websites, blogs and other social platforms.
Unique Coupon Codes – Printing coupon codes is tested marketing that has proven to attract new customers and boost sales. Marketers show signs of increasing its use in 2018 because of digital printing’s ability to personalize and track customers.
Color—Brilliant, bold, intense colors are trending along with new iridescent color palettes for the new year. As Pantone executive, Leatrice Eiseman says, “Intense colors seem to be a natural application of our ‘intense’ lifestyles and thought processes these days.”
Texture—Studies show touch has the strongest impact on memory. Print taps into that deeper level by giving marketers business cards, flyers, postcards and other pieces that help build brand loyalty. Debossing, raised ink or intricate folds add even more tactile responses.
Foil Stamping—Marketers know people love shiny objects. Foil stamping offers a stylish metallic effect and is durable. It’s another up-and-comer for 2018.
Spot Varnish—Adding depth and shine just where the designer wants it helps logos and other images jump right off the page. Varnish and texture add more of the tactile response marketing team designers enjoy adding to their creation.
Experience the new technologies before purchasing.
You can read all the equipment brochures and watch online videos, but getting an up-close and personal look at new and ‘working’ print technology is hard to beat. Take advantage of when manufacturer representatives are on site to do demos and answer all your questions.
EO Johnson’s Production Print Expo is an opportunity to see the latest technology in action.
This time of year many business owners are considering buying decisions for the coming year. Our team thought it would be good timing to offer a first-hand look at some of the most impressive technology available. Here are a few we’ll be showing and demonstrating at our Print Expo December 13th and 14th.
- Duplo UV Spot Coater—a real show stopping print experience that your customers can touch and feel. Even simple business cards become something out of the ordinary with added print embellishments.
- UD-300 Die Cutter—produces a variety of digital print and packaging products such as customer shaped brochures and direct mailers, stationary, retail packages, labels, and fold boxes in quantities as low as one. It’s a real performer doing multiple cuts, slits, slit-scores, kiss cuts perforations, and window punches for single or multiple-up pieces on a wide range of paper stock.
- DC-646 Slitter/Cutter /Creaser—easy to use, this versatile digital color finisher does a multitude of unique full-bleed applications with more efficiency and flexibility.
Check out our website for more details on the Expo. Besides technology, educational sessions will be provided including: Web 2 Print, Workflows and Ricoh 5th Color. You’ll also see hands-on demonstrations. Feel free to bring your print-ready files and give the technology a test with your own media.
The experience may help move your vision for expanding services to reality. More opportunities. More profits. It could be an exciting way to ring in the New Year!